Obama believes that students in the U.S. are at a disadvantage to students in other countries. To fix this problem, he wants to implement longer school days, stay open later, and allow students access to schools on the weekends. Not only does research show that grades improved when more instruction time is added to the day, but spending more time in school would also help those disadvantaged children who typically make no progress over the summer.
Although I don't want to go be in school longer each day and more days a year, I do understand the benefits that could come from it. Kids would have less time to find trouble and more time learning new material. But I'd prefer none of these changes occur while I'm still a student because like the Obama kids, none of these options sound good to me. Again, I get that Obama wants to catch-up with other countries, but I'm not sure how much of a difference the extra schooling will make in the U.S. I think the majority of students in the U.S. have grown lazy and find even the current amount of school they attend to be too much.
No comments:
Post a Comment